Sunday, August 23, 2009

Portage Lake

On August 6th, 2009, I had the opportunity to take the Gray Line tour of Portage Lake, south of Anchorage (map). From what I'm told, Portage Glacier is relatively small, as glaciers come. It looked big enough to me though. The deep shades of blue that were buried in the crevasses were amazing, even from a few hundred feet away. Overall the tour took about an hour. The tour is operated by a private company, but a Forest Service employee gives an excellent narration throughout the tour. It was a nice little side trip before I had to depart Alaska. I'd recommend it if you only have a little extra time in Anchorage.

Portage Glacier

Portage Glacier

Portage Glacier

Portage Glacier

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hi Bill, thanks for stopping by. I am reading through your posts from your Alaska trip now. Love the glacier shots - I only hope to see some, but not sure in the areas I am visiting.